This describes how to download and configure eclipse for RCP development.
Install Eclipse and DeltaPack
1. Go to the latest eclipse builds webpage.
2. Choose the eclipse version you wish, (i like latest stable build).
3. From this page download the following:
Eclipse SDK containing the base eclipse IDE.
DeltaPack – is a set of libraries useful to compile and export a product to many platforms.
4. Move the downloaded DeltaPack to to a folder in the eclipse folder (for example delta_pack/).
5. Set the deltaPack libraries in your target. (Go to eclipse preferences, Plugin Development, Target Platform. Edit the actual target, in Locations Add…, Installation, and set the deltaPack folder we just copied). And you should be able to export your project for different platforms as usual from the product.
Install e4 Tools
This will add some tools which will help you to edit the configuration xml files like the Application Model.
Within Eclipse IDE go to Help menu, Install New Software… and install the e4Tools from the (4.4 Luna) link: http://download.vogella.com/luna/e4tools (or Kepler) link: http://download.vogella.com/kepler/e4tools . These are the links from the vogella’s website which are usually up to date. You can also use the ones from the official e4Tools page. (This links are taken from http://blog.vogella.com/2014/01/21/eclipse-e4-tools-update-site-for-kepler-and-luna/). Install at least eclipse 4 core tools.
Others install repositories:
Extra: Create an RCP application and include JavaFX.
To run with java 7.6 add e(fx)clips 0.9.0 site to the target :
http://download.eclipse.org/efxclipse/runtime-released/0.9.0/site select Target Platform Feature and remove the “Include required software” check.
Target Runtime latest version (Only if you will run the application for using Java8) – http://download.eclipse.org/efxclipse/runtime-nightly/site
IDE Latest version Starting with keppler (Also requires run Eclipse IDE using Java 8. although developing for Java 7 is possible setting a java7 target run) –
Are the correct ones!
Linux step by step Eclipse kepler 4.3.2 configuration – Running with java 1.7.0_60
1. Download Eclipse SDK 4.3.2 and Delta pack for it from:
2. Inside eclipse install E4Tools from the p2 repository, only the CoreTools is required:
3. Create a new target containing the actual eclipse home folder, the e(fx)clipse runtime site, and a new installation with the deltaPack.
3.1 The efxclipse runtime site is:
http://download.eclipse.org/efxclipse/runtime-released/0.9.0/site select target feature for kepler and remove the the “Include required software” check.
3.2 Add the deltaPack to the target using Add… Installation.
4. You have to add an additional update site for Xtext which is not preconfigured yet for your. The update site is:
Simply go to install new software and try the link.
5. Install the e(fx)clipse IDE Kepler from the following p2 repository:
Only the Basic component from single components is required but the Kepler install can be installed, this includes all.